Saturday, October 10, 2015

Layoffs

I have a very nice neighbor who loves to visit but last week-end she was not her usual upbeat self.  She works for a company that employees 18,000 people here in the area where I live and they had just laid off 450.  Her job was safe but she had friends whose jobs were cut.  I could tell she was really upset and it got me thinking.

While 450 out of 18,000 is a very small number there is a ripple effect.  The people who lose their jobs are angry and upset.  So are the people around them.  That number is much larger than 450.  Watching my neighbor I wondered what the work place would be like for the next few weeks.  Do companies realize how layoffs also impact the workers who stay.  I don't think it was a very happy place to work last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment