Friday, October 9, 2015

Time and Antique Clocks

I have been thinking about time recently.  Not because I am getting older (Notice the Mature in the heading).  No!  It is because I have been trying to set a antique German Wall Clock.  Once set it does keep pretty good time but getting it to keep good time takes a lot of work.

What kind of work?  You have to adjust the pendulum so it does not run fast or slow.  Instead, since I want it to run just right it takes a lot of time and adjustment.

The problem?  How do you know it is keeping the correct time?  I know because I have the correct time on my DVR, my cell phone, my tablet and on my atomic clock.  I use one when I have to set the clock.  If I let the clock run down as I did this week it usually runs fast or slow when I restart it.

That is what lead my thoughts to time and how people kept the correct time when this clock was made.  Remember I said antique German Wall Clock.  This clock was made in the mid-1800's.  There were no DVRs, cell phones, tablets (at least not electronic) or atomic clocks.  So when the clock was set how did they know if it was keeping the correct time or running fast or running slow.  I suspect they did not care as much as we do today.  Close to the correct time was good enough.

I know people say Americans are OCD about time.  Being on time.  Knowing the time.  Keeping a schedule.  I don't think you could have done this using this clock.  After giving this much thought (like each time I adjust the pendulum) I have decided that time and correct time is a very modern concept; at least for those of us in developed countries.

Maybe I should use my  antiques clock for decoration rather than for keeping correct time.  No!  I am a modern American so I will keep working until it keeps the correct time.

Just a footnote.  The clock has been serviced and repaired several times in the last few years.  It belonged to my Mother and when she died no one else in the family wanted it.  I also have a new Grandfather clock and it holds the correct time much better than the Antique Wall Clock.  I keep them both running because I love to hear the chimes. I really love it when they chime together but that does not happen very often.


No comments:

Post a Comment